Hamilton Zoo's response to Covid 19
The safety and wellbeing of our wildlife and everyone who visits Hamilton Zoo is our priority. We are closely monitoring the advice from the Government and Ministry of Health, and will be updating our guests via our website and social media platforms as new information becomes available.
1. Are we open?
Yes, Hamilton Zoo currently remains open to the public. We are working with the Ministry of Health and other lead agencies as we respond to a fast-moving situation. We are continually updating our plans and actions as we get new information, so we can make the best decisions for our facility and our city. We ask that you help protect our animals and staff by not visiting the zoo if you feel unwell. Any updates on openings and possible closures will be made on our website and social media platforms. As this is an unfolding situation, we cannot guarantee opening hours.
While we are open, we want to assure people that we have taken a number of precautions. These include:
- Extra cleanings to high traffic areas (such as front of house)
- Hand sanitizer available at points throughout the Zoo including the reception and the café
- Signage reminding people of good hygiene practices in main areas of zoo.
We urge people to use their best judgment, and common sense.
- Avoid crowded spaces
- Observe social distancing – two metres is recommended
- If you have flu-like symptoms, please prioritise your health and that of our community and our team. Stay home and rest up.
We want to be here for anyone in our community who may need us, but we encourage everyone to be proactive when it comes to their own health and safety, as well as others.
2. Are there events happening?
We are following Ministry of Health guidelines for events. We have postponed our special events that attract large crowds. This includes our extra activities over Easter Weekend and the April school holiday period. We look forward to many event days to come at Hamilton Zoo, but for now the health of the community, our staff and our animals is our absolute priority.
3. What about our animals?
We love and care for our animals and their welfare is a priority to everyone here at Hamilton Zoo. As this situation continues to develop, we have plans in place to ensure we always have keepers and vets available to care for our wildlife. Our team of animal experts already take additional precautions to keep our wildlife safe and healthy and these measures will continue. Please note, to ensure animal and keeper welfare, changes to keeper talks and encounter schedules may change at any given time.
4. As a visitor to Hamilton Zoo how can I help?
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
- Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often (for at least 20 seconds).
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
- Avoid personal contact, such as kissing, sharing cups or food with sick people.
- Call Healthline on 0800 358 5453if you have any symptoms and have been to any countries or territories of concern or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19.
- Follow the Ministry of Health’s guidelines on their website.