Friends of the Zoo
A committed group of volunteers, supporting the Zoo since 1983.
What do the Friends do?
- Promote Hamilton Zoo as a conservation and educational facility
- Raise support for its development and use
- Organise fundraising activities for specific projects
What does basic membership offer?
- By joining the Friends, you are supporting the Zoo's role in wildlife conservation and education for future generations
- Half price admission fees
- Free admission to a Friends of the Zoo social function
Active members are welcome to attend the Friends' bi-monthly meetings.
Membership is renewable annually on 31 October. Costs are:
- Family (2 adults and up to 4 children 3-15 years) $40 p.a.
- Adult $15 p.a.
- Child (3-15 years, additional to other memberships only) $6 p.a.
For a membership application form, click here.
The Friends of Hamilton Zoo Inc. is a registered charitable organisation, so all donations of $5.00 or more can be claimed back for a partial refund from the Inland Revenue Department.
The Friends are an independent organisation and membership applications are not processed by the Zoo. Your membership card will arrive in the mail - present it at Zoo Reception to receive the Friends' discount on admission fees.
Projects / Events
Hamilton Zoo is very fortunate to have the support of the Hamilton community and beyond. Friends of Hamilton Zoo is one committed group of volunteers who have supported the zoo since 1983. Their members have organised many fundraising activities to support the zoo’s development projects. Over the last two years, Friends of Hamilton Zoo have donated nearly $18,000. This has gone towards:
- Rhino House and paving. Friends of Hamilton Zoo raised an astounding $11,000 towards this project. We are able to provide more opportunities for our visitors to experience the rhinos up close.
- Two Moultrie motion activated cameras. These cameras will enable us to capture great images of our animals while we’re not there such as the birth of our baby rhino and intimate moments between mother and baby red panda.
- Parrot Court aviary upgrades
- Zoo animal ID signs
- Eight picnic tables
- State of the art X-Ray equipment for our vets
Hamilton Zoo is very grateful for the generosity and continued support of Friends of Hamilton Zoo.